Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Eulogy for our cat(Pepsi).

One and half years back our old cat had given birth to 3 kittens and Pepsi was one among them.It had pitch black coat when the other 2 had fancy white colors with grey patches.Other than its yellow eyes,white teeth and white claws it was black.My cousin, Rajesh took one white colored one and my neighbor took the other one.There were no takers for Pepsi.
 No one liked it because of its coat color.Even mom wanted to get rid of it.Grandma started talking about superstitious beliefs.But I started loving the color and it stayed in my room.We did not have her mom as our pet, but her mom stayed with us and ate in our home.Pepsi's mom was feeding Pepsi and we did not worry initially for feeding it.Meanwhile Rajesh named his  kitten Chitti and it became so close with Aunt,Uncle, Mahesh(Rajesh's bro). Aunt (mom's sister) used to call mom and started talking about the things chitti do at their home.


Dad and me funnily used to talk about pepsi, how it escaped when Rajesh was catching Chitti to take it to his home.If Rajesh would have taken Pepsi,it would be enjoying their love and affection.Dad never worried about the coat color like me.Unlike other kittens Pepsi never gave us any trouble.It was 1 year back when we were painting our home and we saw a rat in the store room.Myself and the painters tried hard to kill it and Pepsi was outside playing in the garden.This rat escaped from us and ventured into the garden.One of the painter said, a cat had caught the rat.I thought it would be Pepsi's mom.To everyone's surprise, it was Pepsi who caught the rat and not her mom.It was having the rat in its jaws from morning to evening and was running in the garden happily.Pepsi was just 3 months old at that time.

And few days later my friend Lingam came to our house and Pepsi was sleeping on a chair and Lingam mistook it for a piece of velvet cloth.He took some photos and when he left Mom asked me, what Lingam was saying about the cat.I told her a lie that Lingam wanted the cat and  if she allows he would take that to his home.Mom became possessive and she said no to the idea and told me that it is not troubling us and we shall have it.

Since then it became close with everyone in the family.It had put pugs to shame by following my mom wherever she went in the home.It never disturbs anyone.While we were sleeping it stayed awake like a dog and our house and store room was free of rodents.Even I could not see any lizards or cockroaches in the house and garden nowadays.


Few months back one day it came running into our bedroom with a squirrel in its mouth and it had let the squirrel from the jaw to eat/kill it and suddenly the squirrel ran away.It was furious and for the first day I saw Pepsi roaring.It has got an ego which I have never seen in an animal.It was so restless and it was running here and there.And 2 days later,I saw Pepsi sitting on our compound wall near a hideout and it was like it expected something.Four days later Pepsi caught the same Squirrel and killed it and made our Bathroom like a butcher shop.

Once it had caught a big chameleon and was playing with it for a whole day.Our big Neem tree in our house which houses many birds became very active today,as Pepsi passed away early morning today.It did not eat since new year and yesterday it became so weak in the evening and the Pet Doctor said, he will visit us today morning.But it is no more now.

I have no companion while trading now.It would be at my feet through out the day.There is no one to follow mom wherever she goes.There is no one to wake mom up.No one to love mom unconditionally like it did.

No one to search mom in every room when she is out of the home to attend any function.No one to sadly look at when mom packs her things up for any trip.





Our furry ,little,velvety Pepsi, I wish I could be there with you wherever you are now.Am looking at the door mat where you used to sleep.What to do with the milk sweet you never tasted which I bought for you for New year.

You made everyone cry.We will be missing you badly.With  unconditional love you swept off our feet.

You taught me how to be patient by waiting for 4 days for the squirrel.You taught me not to be greedy by not eating more than 1 biscuit at a time though you loved it very much.You taught me how to concentrate on the target without getting diverted.

It was very painful to watch you die.Now you were put to rest in the garden I can hear the sounds of squirrels and the birds in our garden.Are they missing you too?